Moorlands Nature Reserve
HabitatMixed Woodland, Nature Reserve
ActivitiesDog Friendly, Walking, Wheelchair Accessible
This small Edwardian woodland garden is part of the ancient Forest of Galtres and is ablaze with colour in spring. Snowdrop, primrose, daffodil and bluebell form a backdrop to a succession of mature rhododendrons, azaleas and maple.
Moorlands is a beautiful small woodland with the additional attraction of spectacular collection of rhododendrons and azaleas, some of which are very old, large and unusual. These provide a succession of flowers from March to the end of June accompanied by a carpet of snowdrop, bluebell, primrose and wood sorrel.
The wealth of trees and flowering plants in turn attract many species of bird and mammal. A number of bat boxes have been erected and these have been successfully used by common pipistrelle and brown long-eared bats, with soprano pipistrelle, Brandt’s and Daubenton’s bats having also been recorded within the nature reserve.
From the tree house a great variety of woodland birds, including great spotted woodpecker, nuthatch and a variety of tits can be observed as they visit the feeders. Woodcock are occasionally seen during autumn, which is also an ideal time to find amazing fungi during a stroll through the leaf litter. The trees are a source of great pleasure with some mature native species growing alongside the more unusual snakebark maple, magnolias and two dawn redwoods. There are two small ponds, the first of which has a large dipping platform to provide much interest to anyone with a net. A third secluded pond helps to feed to other ponds via a dyke.
Wooden sculptures and a nature trail, with waymarkers depicting the species found in the woodland can be enjoyed by families thanks to funding from Yorventure.
Mr Edward Grosvenor Tew bought Moorlands House and estate in 1909 and planted many of the rhododendrons and azaleas. The estate was then acquired by the Retreat in York for use as a hospital in 1940, before selling 17 acres to become Yorkshire Wildlife Trust’s second nature reserve in 1955. Management of the site aims to both preserve the special character of the garden and to encourage native wildlife within the nature reserve.